Friday, July 13, 2007

Back From the Ether

It's been over a year now and I'm finally back. I didn't even know I had any comments until today and I apologize for essentially never being heard from again. I have some really good excuses, though, if anyone is still out there. I got pregnant in May, quit my job, and we moved to Virginia from California in September (the day after my 20 week ultrasound informing us we were having a boy). I've even got a new name. After nine years of marriage, I took my husband's last name to avoid confusion when the baby came along.


Our little love, Henry Uebler Webb, was born on February 17, 2007 at 9:09PM at home in our bed. And his very strong personality has been guiding our every move since then! As you can see*, he's a big boy--15lbs. 14oz. at his last check-up. We're so proud. *Photos have been removed due to privacy concerns--sorry!


The whole time I was pregnant, I couldn't bring myself to make anything. I'd start a couple of things and never complete them. It was so weird, but I think it was because in September 2004, I had a miscarriage and somewhere in my subconscious, I was convinced that this pregnancy would end tragically, too. I would be ordering stuff for his room or buying clothes and catch myself thinking, "I won't be able to handle having these things around when we find out there's something wrong." So, crafting for him, putting all those loving thoughts and hopes into every stitch, while fearing that I would never see the little one for whom they were intended was too much to bear.Thankfully, he was born, small, but healthy and I was consumed with his constant care.


Then David gave me a laptop for Mother's Day, which at the time I thought was completely insane. "On the most meaningful event of your first Mother's Day, let me present you with some electronics." After I dragged the information from my mom in advance, I proceeded to make an ass out of myself by having a "discussion" with David about the appropriateness and expense of the gift only to find out he'd also bought me an amethyst necklace (both his and Henry's birthstone) and planned a little presentation which I completely ruined.


Now, I love my laptop. Once Henry began napping with more predictability, I began lurking on my favorite craft blogs and soon my hands were once again itching to create something. I didn't want to crochet yet, though. Then I remembered that I had Jess Hutchinson's "Unusual Toys for You to Knit and Enjoy" and the supplies to make them. I'd bought it primarily for the cute bear which I found out as I opened the booklet was named Henry. It was fate and here I am crafting again. I will post some results of my labor in the next few days. I'm not doing my own designs again yet, but it's a start!


I think this blog will be a lot about my journey with Henry now, in addition to the crafty stuff. I'm happy to be back and I hope you'll feel the same.


No comments: